Monday, September 11, 2006

Project 2996, Part Three



Leobardo Lopez Pascual

Leobardo was born and grew up in the small farm village of San Pablo Anicano in the state of Puebla, Mexico. He was one of twelve children. He married Mirna Huerta, had four children, and began a farm of his own. In 1997, he made the difficult decision to leave his family behind and make his way to the United States and find a way to make a better life for his wife and children.

He came to New York City and got a job as a morning cook at the Windows on the World restuarant on the 107th floor of the World Trade Center. He shared a one-bedroom apartment in the Bronx with a co-worker and his family.

For four years, he sent every penny that he could home to his wife every week, and packages of clothes and shoes several times a year. He watched his children grow up in the pictures that his wife sent as often as she could. He dreamed of bringing his family back together.

Leobardo was no different than the stockbrokers and lawyers who went to work every day in the World Trade Center. He lived for his family, he loved his family, he took care of his family.

There is no better tribute.

5 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Suzi said...

Thank you for introducing us to Leobardo. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to leave your family and go to a foreign land and try to support them from there. I know his wife and children missed him while he was in New York. I am sure they miss him more now, knowing he will never come home.

It is sad that he came all this way to make the American dream and was killed because others don't like us and our way of life.

We should remember. We must remember. People like Leobardo are worth remembering.

I remembered Laura Gilly.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Angel said...

All three of your tributes are wonderful - thank you for being part of the 2,996

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tribute with us.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Me Llamo Rojo said...

Hi There!

My Name is Juan and I writing from Mexico City, he was my uncle, I enter to this blog because I was searching for information about 11 september, I know maybe sounds unbeliaveble that his my uncle, Do you know her?, Who are you o What Does it mean Project 2996, Part Three? I dont know I try to keep reading in to your blog and try to understand.

In my blog I put a little history on his honour but its in spanish

Anyway, Cheers.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Me Llamo Rojo said...

this is the link:

http://mellamorojos.blogspot.com/search/label/Metatextos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home